If you happened to see my Preakness Quiz post and happened to give it a try, here are the answers!
As a Marylander, I take the Preakness very seriously and look forward to it every year. Here are the answers to the quiz questions. Test your knowledge or your friends knowledge! Or maybe just learn something new and interesting.
1. Secretariat holds the fastest time in the Preakness, winning in 1 min and 53 seconds.
2. The race was named after the horse that won The Dinner Party Stakes at Pimlico in 1870 their opening year.
3. Eight Maryland Bred horses have won the Preakness.
4. Ninety-Seven Kentucky bred horses have won the Preakness.
5. Seven Florida bred horses have won the Preakness.
6. Six Pennsylvania bred horses have won the Preakness.
7. Six California bred horses have won the Preakness.
8. The jockey who won three years in a row on Tabasco Cat, Timber Country, and Lous Quortze is Pat Day. The Preakness over the years has been run on every day of the week besides Sunday.
10. Two African American jockeys have made it to the winner's circle. George "Spider" Anderson aboard Buddist. Then Willie Simms won aboard Sly Fox.
11. Eddie Arcaro holds the record for most Preakness wins. His last and final win was aboard Bold Ruler in 1957.
12. The blanket of Black-Eyed Susan's tradition started in 1940.
13. Grindstone is the horse that did not come to the Preakness after the Kentucky Derby (knee injury). The next 22 horses after him to come from Churchill Downs to Pimlico, left with a chance at winning the triple crown.
How Did You Do?
Did you surprise yourself with how many Preakness facts that you know? If not, you can wow your friends and families on Preakness day with all the new random facts you know!
Here is to a great Preakness day 2019. May all the horses and jockeys have a safe trip!