As a horsewoman and a Marylander, I hold the Preakness Stakes and its history and tradition very close to my heart. With Maximum Security and Country House not coming to Baltimore, you might need something to talk about while you wait for the race to start.
Quiz your friends and family with some Preakness trivia.
1. Who holds the fastest time for the Preakness?
2. Where does the name the Preakness come from?
3. How many MD bred horses have won the Preakness?
4. How many KY bred's have won?
5. How many FL bred's have won?
6. How many PA bred's have won?
7. How many CA bred's have won?
8. Which jockey set a record winning three Preakness in a row? Tabasco Cat (1994) Timber Country (1995) and Louis Quroitz (1996)
9. The Preakness has been run on every day of the week besides what?
10. How many African American jockeys have made it to the winner circle?
11. Which jockey holds the all-time record for Preakness winners. His last and final Preakness was 1957 aboard Bold Ruler.
12. When did the blanket of black-eyed Susans tradition begin?
13. This KY Derby winner did not come to the Preakness (he had a knee injury). The next 22 winners that came to Pimlico two weeks after the Kentucky Derby left with the opportunity to become triple crown winners. Which horse was it?
Who Is Running in This Years Preakness Stakes?
War of Will
Win, Win, Win
Why Are Maximum Security and Country House Not Coming to Baltimore?
Maximum Security's connections don't see any need for him to come to Baltimore. After the drama and disqualification at the Kentucky Derby, his owner and trainer decided that Baltimore and The Preakness were not in his future.
Winner by disqualification in the Kentucky Derby, Country House, also will not be coming to Baltimore for the Preakness because he seems to have developed a cough.
Stay Tuned for Quiz Answers
Preakness week is an exciting week here in Maryland.