Of Horse

Created by Horse enthusiasts for Horse enthusiasts

Long-Term Travel
Facebook Tweet Google+ Pinterest Email More Sharing Options

Long-Term Travel

Some equestrians receive local training, participate in local competitions, and enjoy their time with their horses – and are quite happy and satisfied with that arrangement. However, what is out there if someone is searching for more? Where does one turn to for higher training and international recognition?

There are a few international organizations that offer the chance to continue improving oneself and even have the chance to teach in several countries, thus also allowing those that want to work in this field to do so even if they have to move – or want to move – to another location. The International Group for Equestrian Qualifications (IGEQ) is one of these organizations that allow someone not only to teach in many different countries, but to be qualified on an international level.

This particular organization has 35 national equestrian federation members. One of the goals is to ensure the qualifications for instructors is relatively the same throughout the member countries and have 3 international levels for 6 different disciplines. If one wishes to take part, a passport is offered – although not absolutely necessary – which acts as proof that the instructor is qualified, in several countries, to teach riding, driving, vaulting, western, tourism and therapeutic certifications.

However, although the goal is to ensure harmonized criteria, it is still not perfect and if you are about to move to another country, verify that the qualifications are the same and check whether the certification is handled by the national federation or the Ministry of Sports as they may not be the same as in your home country. The first step, however, is to obtain the passport. Here is the postal address of the IGEQ:


396 Nuneaton Road

Bulkington, Warwickshire CV12 9RR

United Kingdom





This passport is not only to provide qualifications to the instructor, but also to give the teacher’s future employer the reassurance that this is truly someone who is fully capable of doing the job. Note that although one may receive the certificate from one country for a specified level, receiving the same certificate from another country is not possible. This passport allows the holder, however, to continue training to a higher level in his or her new country or in another field. And, since all training can be noted in the passport, this aides in keeping all information in one place.

So feel free to explore other areas, if you once felt that you were kept back because you believe you couldn’t indulge in your passion.


Do you like this article? Don’t forget to vote!

You can also receive an email every time I post a new article by clicking on my username, “naturegirl”, then on “Follow”.

Feel free to pin, share and tweet!

Yes! Send me a full color horse trailer brochure from Featherlite.

Thanks! Your brochure will be on its way shortly.
  1. HorseDiva
    Hey, I want to travel soon. I wonder if it needs to be long-term, or if short-term can be accepted... ? I voted.
  2. Rene Wright
    Rene Wright
    Great information & something I will hold onto for future reference! Voted! & Thanks for sharing :)

Sign Up to Vote!

10 second sign-up with Facebook or Google

Already a member? Log in to vote.