Winter weather in some climates can be less than ideal for horseback riding lessons. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. Here are 26 reasons why I would suggest you not quit riding lessons over the winter.
1. You will have to waste a lot of time in the spring refreshing your skills.
2. You don't want to lose all the muscles you worked hard all year long to build.
3. You will lose the muscle memory you learned that allowed you to focus on other aspects of riding.
4. The school horses need to eat all year long.
5. The school horses need their feet done all year long.
6. The farm needs income for the horses to pay vet bills in the event of an emergency or illness.
7. Your trainer needs to eat all year long.
8. You may lose your lesson spot in the spring if you quit for the winter.
9. There are no flies to bother you or the horses in the winter!
10. It is a great time to practice bareback riding, the horses body heat will keep you warm.
11. Horses are super cute in the winter with their fluffy coats!
12. You don't want to miss out on an opportunity to shop at the tack store for cute winter apparel.
13. You will lose all the riding muscles you worked hard all year to get!
14. You will lose the muscle memory that allows you to cue your horse properly.
15. Horses in the snow provide a lot of cute photo opportunities!
16. You don't want to miss out on the opportunity to put reindeer antlers on your horse at Christmas!
17. Your trainer will love you.
18. You will be more prepared for spring shows then riders who don't ride for months in the winter!
19. You will have to throw away candy canes when you get sick of eating them after Christmas.
20. Winter provides an opportunity to learn unmounted horsemanship skills that are just as important as riding.
21. Think of all the riding you will get in if the winter is mild, sometimes winter isn't so bad, you don't want to quit and miss out!
22. If you ever want to own a horse you can't (or perhaps I should say shouldn't) ignore him when you don't like the weather conditions.
23. Going to the farm in the cold justifies stopping at Dunkin Donuts for coffee and hot chocolate whenever you want.
24. You will get jealous when your friends talk about their lessons!
25. You don't want the dreaded stigma of being a "fair weather rider".
26. If you truly horse crazy, you might die from withdrawal symptoms if you don't see horses all winter long!