Lights. Tires. Vents. Are you ready for your next trip with your horse trailer? To ensure the safety of yourself, your passengers and your horses, read on for a quick checklist of items from Featherlite Trailers you should review before and during your next trip with your horses.
- Ensure all lights, turn signals and brakes are working properly.
- Be sure the tire pressure is at the value indicated on the certification or VIN label.
- The lug nuts should be tight and properly torqued.
- Make sure the wiring harness is securely attached to your truck.
- Place your safety chains in their proper location.
- Attach and test the breakaway brake system.
- Check the integrity of your hitch/ball.
- Confirm that the coupler is shut and locked. Always couple the trailer to the tow vehicle before loading your horses.
- Place weight in the most uniform manner. (Overloading the front or back can make pulling difficult.)
- Open vents on hot days, and keep your horses watered when on the road.
- Make sure dividers are secured properly.
- See to it that all feed doors are in their proper and desired location.
- Double check hitch and coupler.
- Stay within speed limits.
- When turning, allow enough room, and execute the turn slowly.
- Put yourself in your horse's position and drive with that in mind.
Comment below with any other tips you have for preparing for a trip with your horses!